Brett,

Trying to visualise your setup.

What I'm reading is that you have two computers sitting next to each other. One 
old computer with a bunch of stuff on it, some of which you want to transfer 
and some you don't.??
You also have an iPad - let's leave that out of the equation for now.

And you are looking for a good way to move the data across??

Have you found the application called Migration Assistant? That's what we 
generally use when a new machine has come onto the scene.
Have a read up on Target Disk mode to allow direct connection of two computers 
without a network. 

How do you connect to the internet and do you have a network of any type, 
wireless or blue cable?

You'll also need to tell us the machines you are using, model, operating system 
number.

Tim



On 22/05/2013, at 11:09 AM, Brett Curtis <[email protected]> 
wrote:

> The original question was supposed  to be "What is the difference between 
> airport and Go To Server via your modem"  Have just tried that and failed 
> miserably.
> Because I have new desktop, I need to move applications and files from the 
> old to the new without moving the lot, as I wish to cull a fair bit.
> Re: the iPad, I use Filemaker Pro a fair bit on the desktop and the iPad and 
> moving new records from the iPad to the desktop is a bit messy.... Save 
> to/open/find the new records/then use import.....
> I had a look at airport this morning and it looked a lot easier, but before 
> racing off and spending hundred bucks or so, I thought I'd ask wamugs opinion.
> 
> tia,
> 
> Brett Curtis
> Master Window Cleaners   
> 0419 049 084
> http://masterwindowcleaners.com.au/
> 
> 
> On 22/05/2013, at 10:18 AM, Ronda Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> Hi Brett,
>> 
>> I am trying to understand what you really want to know. Your original 
>> question: 
>>>>> What is the advantage of using airport?
>> 
>> Do you mean "what is the advantage of using a Apple Airport Base Station ( 
>> AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule)" to create a Wireless Network"?
>> 
>> Then you mention "ease of transferring files"? ... And "Same goes for iPad"?
>> 
>> Need more clarification and information on what type of Network you are 
>> currently using and what it is exactly you are wishing to achieve before I 
>> can assist.
>> 
>> Cheers,
>> Ronni
>> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
>> 
>> On 22/05/2013, at 9:01 AM, Brett Curtis <[email protected]> 
>> wrote:
>> 
>>> Thanks for that Pedro ;)
>>> 
>>> Just trying to work out what the difference is between logging into my 
>>> modem and having an airport in between.
>>> I have just upgraded my office desktop (So now Apple can safely release 
>>> their new 32" model for $1500)
>>> I was wondering about the ease of transferring files.  Same thing goes for 
>>> my iPad.
>>> 
>>> Regards,
>>> 
>>> Brett Curtis
>>> Master Window Cleaners   
>>> 0419 049 084
>>> http://masterwindowcleaners.com.au/
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> On 22/05/2013, at 8:47 AM, Pedro <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> Well, there's plenty of room for all the airplanes. 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> On 22/05/2013, at 8:23, Brett Curtis <[email protected]> 
>>>> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> What is the advantage of using airport?
>>>>> 
>>>>> Regards,
>>>>> 
>>>>> Brett Curtis
>>>>> Master Window Cleaners   
>>>>> 0419 049 084
>>>>> http://masterwindowcleaners.com.au/
>>>>> 
>> 
>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
>> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
>> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>