Susan You definitely have to have migration assistant open on both machines and when asked if a code shows on the source computer, you can then press Continue. It gives the source computer about 10 seconds then comes up with the source computer is not responding and you then have only one option of cancelling the migration. You do this and it takes about 2 minutes to respond to that. Immediately that happens, on the source computer, the code comes up, but its too late because you have cancelled on the other machine! You can press continue on the source machine but it has no effect.
Tim I also heard that Firewire was the way to go. Anyone have any ideas on the restarting thing? There's no mention of it in any of the many pages i've read so far. All the instructions I have read so far carry on with instructions as if there will be no problems. Could it be something to do with sharing settings on the new machine? Brett On 22/05/2013, at 2:58 PM, Tim Law <[email protected]> wrote: > Brett, > >>> Have a read up on Target Disk mode to allow direct connection of two >>> computers without a network. > > > There is a process to turn the old computer into Target Disk mode, which I > believe is necessary when you are doing this. It's something to do with > restarting it and holding down a certain key on restart. > > I also believe you can transfer via your normal network. I just gave Firewire > transfer and Target Disk as another option that I understand is faster. > > Tim > > > On 22/05/2013, at 2:51 PM, Susan Hastings <[email protected]> wrote: > >> You only use migration assistant on ONE of the machines, not both. I think >> it's on the new machine, but you could google how to use migration assistant >> which would give you the step by step guide. >> >> Sent from my iPad >> >> On 22/05/2013, at 2:20 PM, Brett Curtis <[email protected]> >> wrote: >> >>> Computers seem to be designed to be as obstinate as....No, I won't say it, >>> lol >>> >>> So I toodled down to the local Mac shop and bought a firewire cable. 1st >>> time I've ever use one. The guy who sold me my new iMac, said, btw, thats >>> obsolete on your new machine!!! then sold me an adapter. >>> >>> Connected the 2 machines and started migration assistant on both. The new >>> one saw the old one immediately but the old one went into a looking mode. >>> New one said to verify a passcode on the old one which was still in waiting >>> mode. 10 sec later new machine said the old fellar wasn't responding and I >>> had only one option to cancel the transfer. >>> As soon as I did this, the old one brought up the code. Too late! Tried >>> several times and they do the same thing every time. The old one will not >>> display code until new one has the transfer cancelled!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>> >>> What on earth am I doing wrong? >>> >>> Regards, >>> >>> Brett Curtis >>> Master Window Cleaners >>> 0419 049 084 >>> http://masterwindowcleaners.com.au/ >>> >>> >>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- >>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> >>> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> >>> Settings & Unsubscribe - >>> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug> >> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- >> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> >> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> >> Settings & Unsubscribe - >> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug> > > -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- > Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> > Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> > Settings & Unsubscribe - > <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

