Hi Brett, one computer is started as a target disk when using FireWire to set 
up your new computer, as per Tim's email. Once you have done this you don't 
have access to the target disk to start programs. It sounds like you are 
looking at setting up a network connection between the two computers, which is 
quite different.



Sent from my iPad

On 22/05/2013, at 2:58 PM, Tim Law <[email protected]> wrote:

> Brett, 
> 
>>> Have a read up on Target Disk mode to allow direct connection of two 
>>> computers without a network. 
> 
> 
> There is a process to turn the old computer into Target Disk mode, which I 
> believe is necessary when you are doing this. It's something to do with 
> restarting it and holding down a certain key on restart. 
> 
> I also believe you can transfer via your normal network. I just gave Firewire 
> transfer and Target Disk as another option that I understand is faster. 
> 
> Tim
> 
> 
> On 22/05/2013, at 2:51 PM, Susan Hastings <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> You only use migration assistant on ONE of the machines, not both. I think 
>> it's on the new machine, but you could google how to use migration assistant 
>> which would give you the step by step guide.
>> 
>> Sent from my iPad
>> 
>> On 22/05/2013, at 2:20 PM, Brett Curtis <[email protected]> 
>> wrote:
>> 
>>> Computers seem to be designed to be as obstinate as....No, I won't say it, 
>>> lol
>>> 
>>> So I toodled down to the local Mac shop and bought a firewire cable.  1st 
>>> time I've ever use one.  The guy who sold me my new iMac, said, btw, thats 
>>> obsolete on your new machine!!!  then sold me an adapter.
>>> 
>>> Connected the 2 machines and started migration assistant on both.  The new 
>>> one saw the old one immediately but the old one went into a looking mode.
>>> New one said to verify a passcode on the old one which was still in waiting 
>>> mode.  10 sec later new machine said the old fellar wasn't responding and I 
>>> had only one option to cancel the transfer. 
>>> As soon as I did this, the old one brought up the code.  Too late!  Tried 
>>> several times and they do the same thing every time.  The old one will not 
>>> display code until new one has the transfer cancelled!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>> 
>>> What on earth am I doing wrong?
>>> 
>>> Regards,
>>> 
>>> Brett Curtis
>>> Master Window Cleaners   
>>> 0419 049 084
>>> http://masterwindowcleaners.com.au/
>>> 
>>> 
>>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
>>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>>> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
>>> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
>>> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
>> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
>> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>