Hello David,
I had a similar problem with Mail in ML but Ronni kindly put me on the
right track. Go to Mail/Preferences/Viewing and check the Use Classic layout
box. Mail will then display in the older format we were used to in earlier
versions.\
Regards
John Thompson
On 23/05/2013, at 10:03 AM, David Nicholas <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I have a strange, very annoying problem with Mail Display on my MacBook Air.
> I was away for a fortnight up in the Kimberleys, resolutely out of touch of
> Mail, my iPhone 5 and the net. When I returned I found the problem. I have
> searched through all the menus I can find, but I can't see how to fix it. As
> well, I have an earlier model iMac with an earlier version Mail that works
> perfectly well. The MacAir has Mail 6.3 and the iMac has 4.6. I have
> updated all the software on both machines.
>
> On the iMac, Mail display defaults to a split window which shows messages at
> the top and the content of a selected message at the bottom. There is a bar
> between the two which can be moved up and down to alter the ratios. Double
> clicking a message displays it in the current full Mail window.
>
> That used to be the situation on the MacAir, but now there is no split
> window. It shows just the list of messages. To view any of the message
> apart from the subject I have to double click it. This is very time wasting
> because I can't go through the numerous mails which come in each day and
> quickly delete those I want to get rid of. I have to actually open them to
> decide whether they go into Trash.
>
> Is this the result of the latest version of Mail on Mountain Lion? Surely
> not!
>
> What have I done inadvertently to create this mess? What can I do to fix it
> and got back to a split screen for message Display.
>
> David Nicholas
>
> MacBook Air 13-inch Mid 2012
> 2GHz Intel Core i7
> 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
> OS X 10.8.3
> connected to a 27-inch Thunderbolt Screen
> Mail 6.3 (1503)
>
> iMac 11.1 27-inch about 2009
> 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5
> 8GB 10-67 MHz DDR3
> Mail 4.6 (1085)
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe -
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>