Hello Stuart,

Lion is OS X 10.7 ?... Snow Leopard is OS X 10.6
You are upgrading from Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8 aren't you?

Are you sure the Lion Installer completely downloaded?

The system places the Lion installer automatically in the Applications folder
after the download is completed.
Check in your Applications folder, the Lion Installer icon should be there.

Double click the Lion icon in your Applications to begin the Install.
A window appears with just one button: Continue. Click it!
The Software License Agreement appears next; click Agree, and then click Agree
again in the confirmation dialogue to proceed.

If the Lion Installer didn't fully download, or the file was damaged.
You will need to delete the Installer, open the Mac App Store application,
click Purchased, and download it again.

Sent from Ronni's iPad4