Hi, Ronni,
Thanks for the reply.

My System Preference is set for 'always' for the scrolll bars. It is not the
scroll bar that is absent, but the pair of little pointer icons, 1 up and 1
down that we used to have, either both on one end of the scroll bar track or
one at the top and one at the bottom. I don't know their proper name.

I often have the task of navigating around a very large image in zoomed-in
mode, and also very large pdf files. Dragging or clicking the scroll bar causes
huge jumps, with no quick and easy way to get back to your starting point.

Another thought: are there any 3rd-party hacks that can add the little pointers?

Scrolling through windows has another nasty little habit: when you search for
an item and get a whole windowful, then clicking on something that looks
promising but turns out to be the wrong thing, then the whole window and all
its icons resets itself to the very top. So you have to navigate again through
all the items to find where you left off. Again, maybe slightly trivial, but
irritating and time-wasting.

Cheers,
Pat