On 19/08/2013, at 6:28 PM, Ronda Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> I don't know where you downloaded the App from, it might be an unsigned .ipa 
> package.
> The install process is one Apple believes in security through obscurity.
> 

Yes, it could well be unsigned.
> Or Brushes v2 might not be compatible with iOS 6.1.3
> 
> Is v2 still on the App Store? I'm fairly sure when the app is updated the 
> previous version is deleted from the store.
> That is why it is useful to make a copy of the App and store it somewhere 
> else, in case you want to go back to that version.

Too late for that now, yes it is gone
Severin
> Cheers,
> Ronni
> 
> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
> 
> 
> 
> On 19/08/2013, at 5:06 PM, Severin Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> Got there but it copies then comes up with "Failed to Install", as 
>> originally feared.  I am not sure what else I can do.  
>> Thanks for all the help
>> Severin
>> 
>> On 19/08/2013, at 4:53 PM, Ronda Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>>> Hi Severin,
>>> 
>>> I'm not sure I understand you.
>>> 
>>> The earlier version of the App is showing in iTunes Apps?
>>> Connect your iPad via USB cable to iTunes 
>>> When the iPad shows under devices, click on Apps button and make sure the 
>>> App is selected
>>> Then Sync
>>> 
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ronni
>>> 
>>> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
>>> 
>>> On 19/08/2013, at 4:34 PM, Severin Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> Ronni
>>>>    I am linked to the iMac by cable with v3 removed from the Mobile Apps 
>>>> and the earlier version sitting there in its place, v3 is removed from the 
>>>> iPad.   The earlier version shows in iTunes with an Install button that 
>>>> changes to Will Install when I click it.  Automatically install New Apps 
>>>> is on but nothing further seems to be happening.  
>>>> What should I do next?  
>>>> Severin
>>>> 
>>>> On 19/08/2013, at 3:49 PM, Severin Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> Thanks Ronni, I am in the process of trying that.   The stored list does 
>>>>> not show all versions, only the current one to which I upgraded.  The 
>>>>> "new" copy I have is a "foreigner" so may not work.  How do I delete the 
>>>>> existing application?  Can not find that in my iPad UG.  
>>>>> Many thanks
>>>>> Severin ( in sunshine, after the wonderful rain!) 
>>>>> 
>>>>> On 19/08/2013, at 3:29 PM, Ronni Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>>> Hi Severin,
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Did you purchase both the earlier version & the newer version of this 
>>>>>> App through the iTunes App Store?
>>>>>> An App downloaded using your iTunes Account has your Apple ID 
>>>>>> information stored in the .ipa file (as a plist)
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> If you didn't purchase the 'previous version' through the iTunes App 
>>>>>> Store this may not work (iTunes might reject it).
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> All your iOS Apps are stored locally on your computer in your Home 
>>>>>> directory in this location:
>>>>>>  ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications/
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> So I would first backup (copy) both versions of the App (.ipa) to 
>>>>>> another location for safe keeping.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 1. Navigate to the iOS app location, at ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes 
>>>>>> Media/Mobile Applications/ and find the app
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 2. Copy the app file/s to another location to serve as the backup
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Downgrading to Previous Version of an iOS App
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 1. On the iOS device (your iPad), delete the app you wish to downgrade
>>>>>> 2. On the computer, quit iTunes
>>>>>> 3. Again navigate to the local iOS app location at ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes 
>>>>>> Media/Mobile Applications/
>>>>>> 4. Remove the newest version of the app .ipa file from that directory
>>>>>> 5. Copy the previously saved version of the app to the /Mobile 
>>>>>> Applications/ directory
>>>>>> 6. Relaunch iTunes
>>>>>> 7. Resync the iPhone, iPad, or iPod, and the older app version will 
>>>>>> restore to the device to complete the downgrade.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> In some situations the older versions of apps won’t be compatible with 
>>>>>> the newest version of iOS, you’ll know this is the case because the app 
>>>>>> won’t launch when you attempt to open it on the iPhone/iPad, or you will 
>>>>>> get a message stating a new version is available and asking to upgrade.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> If this doesn't work you can replace the new version back in the Mobile 
>>>>>> Applications location and sync again.
>>>>>> Note: I take all care but no responsibility if this does not work.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Let us know how you get on please.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>> Ronni
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
>>>>>> 2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion
>>>>>> Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> On 19/08/2013, at 1:28 PM, Severin Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> I have Brushes v3 on my iPad and wish to revert to an earlier version 
>>>>>>> which has a desirable feature.  I have this version as a .ipa file 
>>>>>>> sitting in my Dropbox.  How do I make it install from there?  Do I need 
>>>>>>> to clean out v3 first, if so how do I do that.  
>>>>>>> Severin Crisp
>>>>>>> (iPad novice, iMac moderately masterful)
>>>>>>> ____________________________________________________
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

____________________________________________________

             Assoc Prof R Severin Crisp, FAIP, FIP, CPhys
15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia
                  ph (08) 9842 1950 ( Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
                           mail to: [email protected]
____________________________________________________



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>