Hi Walter,

> Also tried unsuccessfully to install the same Activity Monitor dock icon (was
> a pie chart in ML)
> but it’s not available in Mavericks ? The CPU activity graph on the desktop
> looks different too.

View network activity in the Activity Monitor Dock

Choose View > Dock Icon > Show Network Usage.

Select the type of activity displayed in the graph

In the Activity Monitor window, you can change the type of data displayed in
the network activity graph.
The type of data you select is shown in the graph in the Activity Monitor
window and in Activity Monitor’s Dock icon.

1. Click Network at the top of the Activity Monitor window.
2. Click Packets or Data above the graph.