On 26 Feb 2014, at 10:48 am, Alan Smith <sma...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Since applying the OSX update, Mail preferences has changed from “SSL”
> checkbox option to “TLS Certificate = none”.     My previous settings were
> gmail = SSL ticked and iiNet = not ticked.  (These were default settings
> applied when setting up the accounts.)
>
> Should the TLS certificate be selected/activated for each mail acount?
>
> Regards
> Alan

Hi Alan,

My Mail Preferences have NOT changed since installing OS X 10.9.2 update.
Are you having any problems with one or both mail accounts since installing the
update?

"TLS Certificate  - Transport Layer Security (TLS)

Use a TLS certificate for security. Some POP and IMAP mail servers require
computers that connect to them to provide a certificate proving their identity."

It has nothing to do with iCloud as Apple's Mail servers do not use a TLS
Certificate for authentication.

This is actually a generic setting in Mail that can be applied to any Mail
server you have configured. It is used for client authentication as an
additional layer of security if your mail server happens to require it (most do
not -- it tends to be used only in corporate environments).  Think of it as an
additional password, basically.

This setting has no bearing on whether your actual IMAP or SMTP sessions with
the server are encrypted or not; that is controlled by the "Use SSL" settings
found on the "Advanced" page (for IMAP connections) and on the individual SMTP
server configurations for outgoing Mail (you can access these by clicking on
the drop-down list of Outgoing Mail Servers and choosing "Edit SMTP Server
List."
As long as "Use SSL" is enabled, your IMAP and SMTP sessions are encrypted.

Note that the TLS Certificate option only appears if you have a valid
certificate in your OS X Keychain that could be used for this purpose; the
option is hidden otherwise which likely explains why it is not appearing on my
MacBook Pro OS X 10.9.2

So to answer your question "Should the TLS certificate be selected/activated
for each mail account?"
I don't know....
You are seeing '“TLS Certificate = none”
Click the drop-down for TLS Certificate... and see if there is anything there
to select.

I would not change anything if your Mail Accounts are behaving correctly!

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)