Hi Ronni

Thanks for response, and for improving my understanding of the black mysteries.

> It has nothing to do with iCloud as Apple's Mail servers do not use a TLS
> Certificate for authentication.

Good to know that it is not associated with iCloud.   I don’t understand iCloud
and I am hoping it will all go away.

> [TLS Certificate] is actually a generic setting in Mail that can be applied
> to any Mail server you have configured. It is used for client authentication
> as an additional layer of security if your mail server happens to require it
> (most do not -- it tends to be used only in corporate environments).  Think
> of it as an additional password, basically.

This seems logical (now).

> You are seeing '“TLS Certificate = none”
> Click the drop-down for TLS Certificate... and see if there is anything there
> to select.
>
> I would not change anything if your Mail Accounts are behaving correctly!

Yes, each Mail account has a long Apple TLS Certificate number.   I never had
problems with either gmail or iiNet mail associated with the upgrade to
Mavericks (luck perhaps).  Gmail is IMAP and iiNet mail is POP.   I won’t
change anything!    I will read up on encryption at some later date.

A side comment: I can download all the POP mail to both iPad and iMac without
mutual interference (or loss of messages), and also keep the last 25 mail
messages on the iiNet website for convenient email reading when away from home.
 This seems to be at odds with the recent advice on how POP works, and the call
to convert mail accounts from POP to IMAP!

Cheers
Alan