Hi Peter,

If your software won't run in Lion, the software won't run in Mavericks!

Starting with Lion, Apple removed Rosetta, the software that enabled older,
PowerPC applications to run on Intel-based Macs. As a result, upgrading to
Mavericks entails living without software that requires Rosetta.

To find out what PowerPC software is on your disk, follow these steps:

Use System Profiler to check all your Applications.

Go to “About This Mac” under the Apple Menu, and click the “More Info” button.
This will launch System Profiler.

Scroll down the list of contents at the left of the window until you get to the
“Software” section and click on “Applications”.

Give the list a few moments to populate, then look for your application in the
list.
Widen the window if necessary until you see the “Kind” column.
You can sort this column by clicking on the column header to make searching
easier.

Any items labelled “Classic” or “PowerPC” will not work in Lion.

ONLY Universal & Intel will run in Lion OS X 10.7 or Mountain Lion OS X 10.8 or
Mavericks OS X 10.9

RoaringApps  keeps maintains a wiki listing hundreds of Mac and iOS apps and
the current status of their compatibility with various operating system
versions, as reported by users.

Although this list is neither exhaustive nor definitive, it provides a quick
way to check on the applications most important to you.

(<http://roaringapps.com/apps?index=a>in case the inline link above doesn't
work for you.)

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)