Hello Graham,

I am not familiar with your printer, and I cannot produce the issues you are
experiencing.
But in the Print Preview under Layout > Paper Handling - 'Scale to fit Paper
Size' is selected?

If still having no luck with printing in Mail - You could try booting Mavericks
in Safe Mode, then open Mail and see if the problem occurs while in Safe Mode.

1. Shut down your Mac and wait 10 seconds.
2. Press the power button.
3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key.
You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup
tone, but not before.

4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress
indicator (spinning gear).

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac normally without holding down any keys
during startup.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)