Well done Severin,
Now you know how easy it really is... helps to have the right tool for the job 
;-)
Now on to Max out at 32GB!!

Cheers,
Ronni

Sent from Ronni's iPad4


> On 26 Jun 2014, at 4:14 pm, Severin Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Thanks to the correct screwdriver as per Ronni’s advice I now have 24GB RAM 
> installed.  A breeze finally but some headache along the way.  Thanks to all 
> for advice and tips.  No doubt now, knowing the way my mind works, I will be 
> looking to max out to 32GB!  
> Severin
> 
>> On 25 Jun 2014, at 10:49 pm, Severin Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>> Thanks Daniel, Ronni and Neil for thoughts on the solution to a SIMPLE 
>> problem.   The right screwdriver helps!  but I note Daniel’s comment.  
>> Tomorrow is another day and I will review what I have n hand (lots on offer 
>> ) but maybe pay you a visit Neil.  Such a bind unplugging and getting it 
>> lying flat so I can access the little panel.  
>> Severin
>> 
>>    
>>> On 25 Jun 2014, at 6:11 pm, Neil Houghton <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>> As I mentioned in my previous email, I have the correct screwdriver/bit 
>>> amongst my collection & I’m just round the corner from Severin.
>>> 
>>> So, Severin, if you want to borrow it/them just give me a call & pop round 
>>> ;o)
>>> 
>>> I remember when I did mine, one screw was more difficult than the others – 
>>> but keeping a good axial pressure on it whilst turning kept the head 
>>> engaged and once moving it came out easily.
>>> 
>>> The screw heads ARE small – so it is important that the driver is well 
>>> engaged in the head, and kept engaged with good axial pressure, to prevent 
>>> damage to the slot profile.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Cheers
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Neil
>>> -- 
>>> Neil R. Houghton
>>> Albany, Western Australia
>>> Tel: +61 8 9841 6063
>>> Email: [email protected]
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> on 25/6/14 17:49, Ronda Brown at [email protected] wrote:
>>> 
>>>> I understand Severin. 
>>>> Let's hope you find the correct screwdriver or I could send/lend one down 
>>>> to you.
>>>> 
>>>> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> On 25 Jun 2014, at 5:17 pm, Severin Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> Good advice Ronni but I believe my problem has been unsuitable 
>>>>> screwdriver rather than seriously stuck screws.  The physical problem to 
>>>>> take the iMac in to T4 is off putting!
>>>>> Severin
>>>>> 
>>>>> On 25 Jun 2014, at 5:10 pm, Ronda Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>>> Yes that is correct... It is now 14 pieces. I've had my set for probably 
>>>>>> a good 15+ years ;-)
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> If you are having trouble loosening the three screws, sometimes the 
>>>>>> space between the internal threads and the screw threads capture 
>>>>>> moisture and oxidation occurs. If this is the case attempting to remove 
>>>>>> the screws will possibly strip the head. If this happens you will have 
>>>>>> to replace the screws. 
>>>>>> If you are finding the screws difficult to loosen I would take the iMac 
>>>>>> to an Apple Authorised technician and let them loosen them. They have 
>>>>>> more experience and if the screws are ruined they will be able to 
>>>>>> replace them.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>> Ronni
>>>>>> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> On 25 Jun 2014, at 4:58 pm, Severin Crisp <[email protected]> 
>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> I see that that Newer Tech kit is now 14 pieces
>>>>>>> Severin
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> On 25 Jun 2014, at 4:38 pm, Ronni Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Hi Severin,
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Remember that the screws are captive - they only loosen, they remain 
>>>>>>>> with the cover - so it won't be noticeable that they are unscrewed 
>>>>>>>> until the cover comes off.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> I purchased many years ago and still use today, a Newer Technology 
>>>>>>>> 11-piece Portable Toolkit which includes:
>>>>>>>> • Three Torx screwdrivers (T6, T8, and T10)
>>>>>>>> • Two flathead screwdrivers (1.8mm and 3.0mm)
>>>>>>>> • Two Phillips screwdrivers (#00 and #2)
>>>>>>>> • Two nylon spudgers—otherwise known as pry tools, useful for opening 
>>>>>>>> iPods or Mac minis or removing the top case from an older MacBook Pro.
>>>>>>>> • A set of large tweezers, perfect for fishing out the screw you 
>>>>>>>> accidentally dropped into the innards of your laptop
>>>>>>>> • A scissor clamp for holding cables and other thin objects in place.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> I would be lost without this little set of computer tools.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>>>> Ronni
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> On 25 Jun 2014, at 4:17 pm, Severin Crisp <[email protected]> 
>>>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> Thanks, Ronni.  All my reading came up with Phillips but unspecified 
>>>>>>>>> size.  I suspected they might have been torx but definitely not.  I 
>>>>>>>>> will go back to my selection and try again.  
>>>>>>>>> Best wishes and thanks
>>>>>>>>> Severin
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> On 25 Jun 2014, at 3:45 pm, Ronda Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Hi Severin,
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> If your iMac is  21.5" Model A1311 or 27" A1312  you can use a 
>>>>>>>>>> Phillips #2 screwdriver to loosen the three captive screws on the 
>>>>>>>>>> memory access door.
>>>>>>>>>> TURN them COUNTERCLOCKWISE
>>>>>>>>>> Then remove the memory access door and set it aside.
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>>>>>>> Ronni
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> On 25 Jun 2014, at 2:08 pm, Severin Crisp <[email protected]> 
>>>>>>>>>> wrote:
>>> I have a Late 2011 iMac 12,1 and have purchased modules to go from 8GB to 
>>> 24GB ( thanks Daniel).  Today I duly shut down, unplugged everything from 
>>> the back (including a struggle as always with the ethernet plug) and laid 
>>> the Mac out flat on a towel.  Various of the online “how tos” list the 
>>> simple procedure starting with a Phillips screwdriver to undo the three 
>>> small screws that secure the cover.  But not so easy.  I have several 
>>> Phillips screwdrivers which look as if they are correct but do not catch.  
>>> Closer inspection shows that the screwheads have only a shallow indent so a 
>>> normal Phillips, which has a bit of an extended point, does not apparently 
>>> go in far enough to engage.  Not wishing to damage screwheads I put it all 
>>> back again and still have 2 x 8GB sitting on the desk looking at me 
>>> expectantly.  Has anyone else tried to follow this seemingly 
>>> straightforward operation and had, or not had, similar problems?  Are they 
>>> really Phillips screws or something that just looks like them?  I have had 
>>> similar situations in the past.  
>>> Advice please!  
>>> Severin Crisp
>>> 
>>> ____________________________________________________
>>> 
>>>             Assoc Prof R Severin Crisp, FAIP, FIP, CPhys
>>> 15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia
>>>                   ph (08) 9842 1950 ( Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
>>>                            mail to: [email protected]
>>> 
>>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
>>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>>> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
>>> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
>>> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
>> 
>> ____________________________________________________
>> 
>>              Assoc Prof R Severin Crisp, FAIP, FIP, CPhys
>> 15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia
>>                   ph (08) 9842 1950 ( Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
>>                            mail to: [email protected]
>> ____________________________________________________
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
>> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
>> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
>> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
> 
> ____________________________________________________
> 
>              Assoc Prof R Severin Crisp, FAIP, FIP, CPhys
> 15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia
>                   ph (08) 9842 1950 ( Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
>                            mail to: [email protected]
> ____________________________________________________
> 
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>