Hi David, Yes, I received a SPAM email from you on 3 August 2014 7:43pm. The link in the email which read READ THE FULL MESSAGE (if I had clicked on it) would have taken me a dubious private server in America.
"Nobis Technology Group sig mods These are relentless in submitting automated comment spam; if you have a blog or anything that has a comment system, you'll probably do well in denying these pernicious critters. Just when you think you’ve finally blocked all of the Nobis Technology Group’s (aka Ubiquity Server Solutions) IP ranges they go and take over another range and carry on merrily spamming your comments section." Cheers, Ronni Sent from Ronni's iPad4 Sent from Ronni's iPad4 > On 10 Sep 2014, at 11:41 am, David Noel <[email protected]> wrote: > > I had this problem about a month ago. It happened because I unthinkingly > clicked on one of the links at the bottom of one of the messages. I'm not > sure it is technically a virus, but I'll call it that here. > > The effect of the virus is, that once opened by clicking on a link, it opens > up your email address book and send a similar message (contents varied over > 20+ possibilities) to everyone on your address list. Thus it propagates > itself through email-address space. > > I don't think it has anything to do with malware protection, and as far as I > can see is only an annoyance. Just dump the replies, real or virus-activated, > from all your correspondents, and be more careful on clicking on such links > the next time. > > I didn't alter any of my passwords etc, and so far there has been no further > bad effects. Hope this alleviates some anxiety! > > David Noel > 2014 Sep 10 > > > > >> On 10 September 2014 11:07, Ronda Brown <[email protected]> wrote: >> I don't think it is Malware causing this, OS X has Malware Protection >> onboard, unless you have ignored any warning from the OS X system when >> installing something suspect. >> >> You Google Chrome account could have been compromised, and is sending SPAM >> emails. >> Are the messages in your Sent folder? >> >> Have you checked your account and changed your password to something more >> secure with Upper & Lower case & numbers? >> >> <https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/126191?hl=en> >> >> <https://support.google.com/mail/answer/50270?hl=en> >> >> I can't really help with Google Chrome or Google accounts as I don't use >> them. >> >> Cheers, >> Ronni >> >> >> >> >>> On 10 Sep 2014, at 10:44 am, Ken Jackson <[email protected]> wrote: >>> >>> No Peter, using Google Chrome. >>> >>> The malware emails are easy to spot as they have a word with a gap in it >>> e.g. >>> Select ed >>> Ev aluated >>> Edi ted >>> >>> Have run AVG & Clam AV but no anomalies have shown up?? >>> >>>> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 7:58 AM, Peter Hinchliffe >>>> <[email protected]> wrote: >>>> >>>> On 9 Sep 2014, at 7:16 pm, Ken Jackson <[email protected]> wrote: >>>> >>>> > Hi folks, >>>> > I have been Phished & it has & still is sending emails out to all of my >>>> > address book!! >>>> > I deleted them all & did a virus scan & got rid of 3 problems, but it >>>> > keeps on going, clear most of the day but a flock of them tonight! >>>> > >>>> > Help please?? >>>> > >>>> >>>> You have a gmail address. Are you using Apple Mail or do you use webmail >>>> or something else? The behaviour you describe is not typical of phishing >>>> scams, where you inadvertently click a link in an email which sends off >>>> personal and security details to the sender's address. I have never heard >>>> of this happening with Apple Mail and Contacts (which is not to say it >>>> hasn't!). >>>> >>>> Peter Hinchliffe Apwin Computer Services >>>> FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer >>>> Perth, Western Australia >>>> Phone (618) 9332 6482 Mob 0403 046 948 >>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>> Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to.
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

