Hi Peter,

I agree, a lot of the emails are typically much more plausible nowadays - so
you even get suspicious of some of the genuine ones.

Although I do not use Mail myself, if I am in the least suspicious I use the
"view source" feature to see what is really in an email - where any links
point to etc. Not quite as quick/simple as just hovering over the link - but
you really do see what is really in the email - like white text on a white
background that you won't actually see (presumably to add some valid looking
content to trick SPAM filters).

I guess as more of us learn to avoid their tricks, they need to keep coming
up with cleverer tricks ;o(

As someone once said "be alert not alarmed"  ;o)


Cheers



Neil
-- 
Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia
Tel: +61 8 9841 6063
Email: [email protected]




on 11/9/14 7:54, Peter Hinchliffe at [email protected] wrote:

> 
> On 10 Sep 2014, at 11:41 am, David Noel <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> I had this problem about a month ago. It happened because I unthinkingly
>> clicked on one of the links at the bottom of one of the messages. I'm not
>> sure it is technically a virus, but I'll call it that here.
> 
> No, technically it's not a virus, since you (however inadvertently) made it go
> by clicking on that link. No malware software can protect against
> user-initated behaviour, even on Windows. It is sometimes extremely difficult
> to avoid this, and the phishers and scammers are becoming increasingly clever
> in creating emails designed to trick you into doing just this.
> 
> One of the things is that keeps me wedded to Apple Mail is the existence of
> the Quicklook URL. I never directly click a link in an email without first
> checking it out. You do this by rolling your cursor over the link, NOT
> clicking it. When you do this, a small grey button containing an upside-down
> triangle will appear at the end of the link. When you click this button, a
> window will  appear showing you what is behind the URL. You can then determine
> very safely whether or not to proceed by clicking the link properly. This has
> saved me from countless potential evils from supposed posts from Apple, EBay,
> a multitude of banks, pharmaceutical salesmen, etc.
> 
> I simply won't use any other email client for this one feature. It's
> absolutely invaluable.
> 
> Peter Hinchliffe        Apwin Computer Services
> FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
> Perth, Western Australia
> Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to.
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe -
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>



-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>