On 16 Sep 2014, at 4:15 pm, Stephen Chape <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Peter, > I just checked and I do have Contacts set up to sync to iCloud on my iMac. > However my iMac is connected to the modem by Ethernet and WiFi is turned off > on the iMac. > Would that be the problem ? > > My other drives use the WiFi but I feel more secure knowing my iMac is not on > the WiFi network ! There is nothing inherently insecure about having your Mac on the WiFi network, since all your devices are behind the modem's firewall. Since your are already connected via ethernet, however, the WiFi connection is simply redundant. Be aware though, there may be conditions in which it becomes necessary to have WiFi turned back on on your iMac, especially when syncing between some software in iOS. Older versions of 1Password and Bento spring to mind. Whether WiFi is on or not, it shouldn't make any difference to iCloud syncing. The iMac will simply use which ever network protocol it prefers (this can be set up in Network System Preferences). Ethernet is faster and generally more reliable, so it makes sense to have it as your preferred connection. Peter Hinchliffe Apwin Computer Services FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer Perth, Western Australia Phone (618) 9332 6482 Mob 0403 046 948 -------------------------------------------------------------------- Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to. -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

