Hi Laura & Susan,

Susan, Laura mentioned she has insufficient free space on her iPad to download 
over the air and install.
> I have insufficient space on my iPad to download the upgrade

Laura, the iOS 8 download size in 1.63GB

I suggest you connect your iPad to your Mac.
I also then did a 'backup to Computer' first.

Sync your iPad to the computer and download iOS 8 directly from there. 
This won't take up any space on your device, and you can manually transfer the 
new software back to your device. 
Updating via your Mac is more reliable way to upgrade, versus OTA 
(over-the-air), which is performed directly on the device. 

If you're taking this alternate route, be sure to select "check for update" 
when the prompt pops up on iTunes — not "restore iPhone."
The latter option will indeed wipe all content from your device.

If you have read my previous posts to the list: iOS 8 Users: Do Not Upgrade to 
iCloud Drive
Apple hasn’t officially released Yosemite yet, iCloud Drive doesn’t work in 
10.9 Mavericks, and upgrading your iCloud account to use iCloud Drive in iOS 8 
is a one-way street — once you upgrade, you can’t go back to the old document- 
and app-specific approach that’s compatible with Mavericks. 
So when iOS 8 asks you to upgrade to iCloud Drive, tap Not Now.

Cheers,
Ronni

On 19 Sep 2014, at 4:05 pm, Susan Hastings <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Laura, you don’t have to sync in order to do the update. It asks if you 
> want to do a backup first, but if you are already syncing with the The Cloud, 
> you can skip that step and just do the update. 
> 
> This is speaking from experience, I freed up space on my iPad and did the 
> update over wireless, but connected my husband’s iPad to my Mac to do the 
> update.
> 
> I’m not sure what there is to grumble about really, just use one method or 
> the other. It was faster using my Mac.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On 19 Sep 2014, at 3:59 pm, Laura Webb <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> I have insufficient space on my iPad to download the upgrade, I was 
>> interested to read the following on the BBC News web site. It seems there 
>> are many just as disgruntled as I am.
>> 
>> "Apple users can avoid the need to free up storage space for the latest 
>> update by upgrading their software via iTunes on a Mac or PC, instead of 
>> through the phone or tablet itself."
>> 
>> If I follow that suggestion does it mean that I would then Sync my iPad and 
>> achieve the upgrade that way,
>> 
>> Any advice appreciated.
>> 
>> Regards
>> Laura
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Sent from my iPad
>> 

-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>