Hi Ronni

I have 32GB and yes I know I should have gone for 64GB. If there is a next time 
for me that's what I'll do. Whilst the 5.5GB requirement might be a friendly 
reminder from Apple it is still, for now, preventing me from easily upgrading 
to iOS8. Not sure the problem warrants buying a portable storage drive.

Thanks again.

Kind regards
Laura 



Sent from my iPad


> On 20 Sep 2014, at 12:16 pm, Ronda Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Laura,
> 
> Do you have a 64GB iPad?
> If anything, the 5.7 GB requirement to update to iOS 8 is a friendly reminder 
> from Apple that you may need to splurge for the 64GB next time.
> 
> Perhaps you need to take a lot of 'stuff' off your iPad and onto a Portable 
> Wireless Storage LaCie FUEL Drive?
> 
> Cheers,
> Ronni
> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
> 
> 
>> On 20 Sep 2014, at 11:43 am, Laura Webb <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>> Hi Ronni
>> 
>> Thanks for your advice. Not sure I am meant to have this upgrade!! I am 
>> aware of the size but there is a requirement for 5.8GB to install the 
>> update. I have 3.4GB remaining. Yes I suppose I can delete items to gain 
>> more space but not sure I want to do that.
>> 
>> Last evening I connected iPad to MBP, chose “download and update” from the 
>> two options available i.e. download only or download and update. It started 
>> downloading then advised there were 15 hours remaining. Surely it is not 
>> meant to take that long. I cancelled and tried again this morning with the 
>> same result, so left it alone thinking well if it takes that long, so be it. 
>> Came back several hours later to find there was a message “an error has 
>> occurred”.  I think it is all too hard.
>> 
>> Kind regards
>> Laura
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>> On 19 Sep 2014, at 4:40 pm, Ronni Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>> Hi Laura & Susan,
>>> 
>>> Susan, Laura mentioned she has insufficient free space on her iPad to 
>>> download over the air and install.
>>>> I have insufficient space on my iPad to download the upgrade
>>> 
>>> Laura, the iOS 8 download size in 1.63GB
>>> 
>>> I suggest you connect your iPad to your Mac.
>>> I also then did a 'backup to Computer' first.
>>> 
>>> Sync your iPad to the computer and download iOS 8 directly from there. 
>>> This won't take up any space on your device, and you can manually transfer 
>>> the new software back to your device. 
>>> Updating via your Mac is more reliable way to upgrade, versus OTA 
>>> (over-the-air), which is performed directly on the device. 
>>> 
>>> If you're taking this alternate route, be sure to select "check for update" 
>>> when the prompt pops up on iTunes — not "restore iPhone."
>>> The latter option will indeed wipe all content from your device.
>>> 
>>> If you have read my previous posts to the list: iOS 8 Users: Do Not Upgrade 
>>> to iCloud Drive
>>> Apple hasn
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>