Update on issue - - -.

Booted from a 4-week old SuperDuper backup (on a Firewire drive).  Held Option 
key while powering on.  Operations are very slow and I don’t know if I’m 
responding to the SuperDuper or iMac messages.   Got boot disk options - 
Macintosh HD; recovery disk and SuperDuper disk.  Selected SuperDuper and 
logged in. 
 
Got information message: “OSX can’t repair the disk Macintosh HD … you can 
still open or copy files … backup and repair a.s.a.p."

Started Disk Utility and Verified disk Macintosh HD.  After step “check catalog 
file” got messages in red:  Invalid key length. The volume Macintosh HD could 
not be verified completely.  Error: this disk needs to be repaired. Click 
Repair Disk.

Did Repair Disk and got message “Error: Disk Utility can’t repair the disk - - 
- reformat  - - - and restore files from backup.”

Sounds rather serious.  I did not reformat disk.  Any advice (apart from having 
a strong coffee - - -)?

Cheers (sort of)
Alan


  
On 23 Nov 2014, at 1:40 pm, Alan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> Help please!
> 
> My late 2009 iMac 21.5" Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz 12G RAM with OSX 10.9.5 
> Mavericks fails to complete the start-up sequence.  
> 
> Mac was powered off via Apple - Shut Down.   Power-up sequence starts 
> normally: chime and grey screen, then the Apple logo and daisy wheel.  Then I 
> get a progress bar as if it is loading something (I don’t recall if this is 
> normal).  After about 5 percent progress the bar disappears, the daisy wheel 
> continues for a second or so and then the screen goes black plus silence from 
> the internal hard drive.   
> 
> The only wired peripherals are two WD My Book Studio Firewire external hard 
> drives in tandem (one cable from Mac).  Tried powering up with the Firewire 
> cable plugged in (normal) and then unplugged.  No joy.
> 
> I tried starting in Safe Mode but could not do so.  There was no change, but 
> possibly a slightly longer time interval between chime and daisy wheel.
> 
> Other observations, but may be red herrings.  I used AirDrop to move EyeTV 
> recordings to the iMac this morning.  Came back 30 minutes later to move the 
> videos to a WD My Book Studio for iTunes.  Noticed that one of the two 
> external drives did not show in Finder.  I powered off the iMac so I could 
> access the drives, power cords, etc.  Then a few minutes later I attempted to 
> start up the iMac - - -.
> 
> Regards, 
> Alan
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>