Hi Daniel

Thanks very much for your details on using a larger drive for backup and I
agree with everything you say. I presently have 3 x 3tb WD external HD
which have copies of my data, movies and photos and I intend keeping these
as multiple backs of a larger drive like the Seagate 5tb. After your email
I did some looking on line and found various other comments, some of which
also say what you have re Seagate. It always a big risk and I sure feel
better when I have at least 2 copies of everything.

I havnt used Time Machine yet but want to now so I will follow some of
Ronnie's great suggestions and documents to use it.
I guess I just need to format the drive as Mac OS Extended journaled to use
TM, is that right?

The Seagate 5tb is reasonably priced as well which is appealing and I havnt
seen any WD 5tb down here yet.

Many thanks and best regards

Chris

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Daniel Kerr <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Hi Chris
>
> Pretty much any drive can be reformatted for the Mac, so you'd be able to
> erase that drive in Disk Utility.
> You'd just need get the software that comes with it, as it would be
> Windows only. However it would/should work with Time Machine ok anyway.
>
> A few things to consider though. Some of this is my own experience and
> personal preference so others may disagree or have different
> experiences......
>
> 1) Just be aware that the larger the drive the more you'll lose should it
> all fall over in a big heap. eg someone with 2x 2TB has less to lose versus
> someone with 4TBs. So the bigger the drive, the more you store on it, the
> more gets lost if the drive falls over. So really need more then one backup
> "just in case".
> 2) If the computer doesn't have USB3 then it will just drop back to USB2
> so a little slower to access.
> 3) I'm not a huge fan of Seagate gear. Again, this is my own experience
> and personal opinion. I've had more of their gear fail then any other
> brand. (And they were the brand that had a large failure rate in iMacs a
> few years back).
> They may be slightly better now, but I'm still a bit cautious. So I'd just
> be a bit cautious of not "putting all your eggs in one basket". Just make
> sure to cover yourself should anything happen to that drive. (Though the
> same applies for any drive really). Whereas Western Digital I find really
> great and it's my "go to" drive brand. I just find them more reliable and
> better follow service if needed. Again, just my experience.
>
> But to answer your question again, yes it should work fine once
> reformatted.
>
> Kind regards
> Daniel
>
> Sent from my iPhone 6
>
> ---
> Daniel Kerr
> MacWizardry
>
> Phone: 0414 795 960
> Email: <danielATmacwizardry.com.au <http://danielatmacwizardry.com.au/>>
> Web:   <http://www.macwizardry.com.au>
>
>
> **For everything Apple**
>
> NOTE: Any information provided in this email may be my personal opinion
> and as such should be taken accordingly, and may not be the views of
> MacWizardry. Any information provided does not offer or warrant any form of
> warranty or accept liability. It would be appreciated that if any
> information in this email is to be disseminated, distributed or copied,
> that permission by the author be requested.
>
> On 20 Jan 2015, at 12:06 pm, Chris Burton <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Good afternoon wamuggers,
>
> I was in Good Guys this morning and noticed a number of Seagate HD, one of
> which was 5tb 'Expansion drive'; I didnt know these were available  and it
> really got my attention as I am in the process of consolidating all my data
> from numerous drives, and this size would be perfect as my offsite backup
> drive.
>
> However, on closer inspection I noticed that it was for Windose only which
> is a real bummer and has 'Backup software ready to go' and is USB 3
> enabled. They do have a 'Desktop Backup drive 2tb' that can be used with
> both Win and Macs without reformatting and using Seagate's backup software.
>
> My question is, can I reformat this drive for use with my iMac as I want
> to start using Time Machine for my backups now and this size would see me
> good for a few years.
>
> I cant find anything online saying I shouldnt reformat and wanted to check
> with you good people before I handed over the dollars. One cnet review says
> that it is possible to reformat as per other external HD
>
> Many thanks and best regards to all
>
> Chris
>
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - <
> http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
>
>
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - <
> http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
>
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>