Hi Peter, Ronni and Daniel,
Thankyou all very much for your time to sort me out on this external drive
backup situation, I really appreciate it.

I wasnt aware of what TM actually did, so thanks Peter for the explanation
on TM and CCC and what I need to do.

Best regards to all

Chris

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 7:38 AM, Peter Hinchliffe <[email protected]
> wrote:

>
> > On 21 Jan 2015, at 9:00 am, Chris Burton <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ronni, great to hear from you and thanks for your great pdf on how to
> set things up for TM.
> >
> > I have a couple of questions: you mention that TM is for backing up the
> hard drive of a mac to a connected external drive.
> >
> > Can I also use TM to backup from a number of other external drives (3tb
> WD) on which I have my previous backups of data/photos/movies/music etc
> onto one big drive? What im hoping to do is use a large drive (like the
> Seagate or WD 5tb) for the main repository of everything that I can keep
> offsite (in the Bank box) and then take it out every 2 weeks to do updates
> from my other drives at home?
> >
>
> I’ll chime in here since Ronni hasn’t time to answer: Time Machine should
> not really be regarded as backup software per se. Its primary purpose is to
> provide a safety valve for those files and resources which get accidentally
> deleted, damaged or or altered in undesirable ways. the time Machine
> interface makes it incredibly easy to go back to the last known good copy
> and recover it so you can keep working with a minimum of fuss. It is by
> nature, therefore, to work with the hard drive of any active computer. You
> can have multiple computers all using the same TM Drive, and you can set TM
> up to use multiple drives, but you cannot tell TM to back up one external
> drive to another. That’s not what it’s for.
>
> For more comprehensive options you should be looking at other solutions,
> such as Carbon Copy Cloner, TriBackup, etc. The ideal backup situation
> should involve such software anyway. Time Machine is an important and
> useful utility, but should not be your only backup resource. I have Time
> Machine running all the time, but also do a Carbon Copy Cloner backup every
> Sunday. One of the advantages of CCC is that it creates a bootable “clone”
> of your hard drive so in times of disaster you can start up from it with
> full access to the resources you’re used to, but that’s just one of its
> features. It will certainly handle the kind of thing you’re looking to do.
>
> Peter Hinchliffe        Apwin Computer Services
> FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
> Perth, Western Australia
> Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to.
>
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - <
> http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
>
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>