Hi Alan,

> On 1 Jun 2015, at 9:51 am, Alan Smith <sma...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
> Three questions re security:
> 1. Is there a user test for malware that may be present on my iMac?

Apple states, security was “the first thought. Not an afterthought.” Which is
very pleasing...
Keep your Apple software up to date, especially Security Updates install
Security Updates immediately they are available.
Gatekeeper - It’s an old feature (presented in OS X Mountain Lion 10.8) that
protects a Mac from malware and “misbehaving apps downloaded from the internet.”
Privacy Controls, Sandboxing and Core-level Protection all these tools are in
OS X Yosemite.
Use Common sense - don't click on links in emails - keep away from suspect
websites...

<http://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/security/>

> 2. Does Yosemite initiate a logon process to gmail (or Hangouts) when a Mac
> wakes up?

I guess it depends on your Login and Settings at Google.

<http://googleblog.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/privacy-security-tools-improvements.html>

> On 24 May I upgraded my Late 2012 iMac to Yosemite.
>
> On 25 May Google advised “We recently blocked a sign-in attempt to your
> Google Account … at 1:23 AM from Perth Australia. Whoever tried to sign in to
> your account knows your password …"   I was asleep at the time - but the iMac
> was doing its 2-hourly test sequence(?) around this time.   Google website
> details showed my 2 iMacs as recognised users, with an unauthorised login
> from a third “unidentified device”.  I changed the password.
>
> Today, 1 June, Google sent me another email advising  “We recently blocked a
> sign-in attempt to your Google Account … at 8:34 AM from Perth Australia.
> Whoever tried to sign in to your account knows your password …”.  Google
> website account details advised logon attempt  came from a “less secure app”.
>   I had just woken my iMac from sleep around this time.  I did not change the
> password or take up Google’s offer for two-step validation.

Follow the link and simply enable "Access for less secure apps". Sounds like
Google is using fear tactics to get people to use their Gmail client.
Your Gmail is still secure with SSL in Apple Mail.