Hi Alan,

I thought I had explained how Yosemite handles Malware / Security & Privacy in
my first reply.

"Keep your Apple software up to date, especially Security Updates install
Security Updates immediately they are available.
Gatekeeper - It’s an old feature (presented in OS X Mountain Lion 10.8) that
protects a Mac from malware and “misbehaving apps downloaded from the internet.”
Privacy Controls, Sandboxing and Core-level Protection all these tools are in
OS X Yosemite.

Did you read the link that I included?...
<http://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/security/>

Apple is extremely adept at issuing security updates that remove OS X malware
as it is discovered.
But... Apple can't help if you don't let it help you!

Comments in Situ

> On 3 Jun 2015, at 1:22 pm, Alan Smith <sma...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
> Hi Ronni
>
> OK, so OSX does not include any method to test for malware.  If a mechancal
> fault (the loose nut in the keyboard!) lets some in then I can’t test for it
> until smoke appears?

I repeat - Apple is extremely adept at issuing security updates that remove OS
X malware as it is discovered.

Why do you think you have Malware - Have you recently tried to download &
install  'Flash Player' or ?
Malware doesn't attempt to get into your machine without your knowledge - it is
malicious software disguised as legitimate software.
It tricks you into installing it as you would any other program, and then when
it is installed it starts to gather information about you.
In most instances it wants to get hold of your credit card or banking details
and passes them on to nefarious individuals on the other end.

Where things get tricky is that most Mac malware pretends to be the very thing
you want to use to get rid of it. Most Mac malware seems to masquerade as
anti-virus or anti-malware software. While there is no definitive list of OS X
malware, here are some names to watch out for:
        • MacKeeper
        • MacDefender
        • MacProtector
        • MacSecurity

So, to be clear: these are names of programs you should be avoiding.

If you feel you might have downloaded Malware go here & download AdwareMedic
2.2.3  <http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php>
I recommend AdwareMedic <http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php> as it takes care
of all currently known adware and is self-updating within a day of anything new
being discovered.
AdwareMedic is safe, secure and very fast to clean your Mac. It's free and of
course have the option to Donate.
<http://www.adwaremedic.com/versionhistory.php
<http://www.adwaremedic.com/versionhistory.php>>

> I note that both Apple and Google place high value on Customer privacy and
> security - and both want to enhance my internet experience!  Which is very
> pleasing… (?)

If you take notice of their advice and security!

> I still have security concerns.  I will rephrase the problem and my
> perceptions of Google’s involvement.
>
> A few months ago with OSX Mavericks 10.9.5 I took part in a Google Hangouts
> meeting.  I wanted to isolate Hangouts from Safari so I downloaded Chrome
> which has Hangouts video and voice facilities built-in.  I thought the Chrome
> browser and Google conditions of use were too invasive: I deleted it
> completely.  I then downloaded Firefox and installed the Google Hangouts
> plug-ins.  All went well as far as I could tell.  I then upgraded to OSX
> Yosemite 10.10.3.
>
> Google then advised they blocked a login attempt to my account so I changed
> the password.  Google sent a second advice a few days later about a similar
> attempt.  This time I determined that the attempt came from my own URL
> address.  (Didn’t check that for the first try.)  You said:
>> Follow the link and simply enable "Access for less secure apps".
>
> That sounds counter-intuitive.  I don’t want less secure apps to
> automatically access my account!  Or do I?

Apple Mail client is not less secure, but you sound determined to use Google
and participate in Google Hangouts regardless of not having upgraded your
Google Accounts security.
Your Gmail is still secure with SSL in Apple Mail.

> Yosemite Console log shows several entries each day about “Google Software
> Update Daemon”.  I don’t want Google to update anything without my approval!
> I usually have “auto update” options turned off, no matter who offers it.   I
> logged out of all of my Google accounts and tried to turn off the plug-ins
> and cancel auto-updates in preferences.   Then I found that the Hangouts
> plug-ins were installed in Safari as well as Firefox.  Obviously a sysem-wide
> installation, not just for Firefox as I had thought.

Google Software Update is a background application for the Mac OS that helps
ensure that you always have the most up-to-date, stable, and secure versions of
the Google software you have installed. Google Software Update may run two
services: GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent and GoogleSoftwareUpdateDaemon.
These services allow Google applications to be safely and securely updated.

> I don’t want to succumb to total paranoia about Google - other people no
> doubt use their apps without problems.  It seems that “something” is/was
> logging in to my Google account.  Can I find out what it is?

Other people probably install security and software updates when they are
available.