> On 27 Aug 2016, at 9:38 AM, Graham Rabe <gra...@rabe.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I read about a program called Chronosync recently which claims to
> synchronize, backup, and create bootable backups to almost anything you can
> connect to your Mac: external drives, NAS drives, other Macs, PC's or
> anything else you can mount as a volume. Even sync to iPads and iPhones.
>
> Has anyone used this program and if so would you recommend it? Seemless and
> regular syncing my iMac with my laptop would be great.

I have no personal experience with Chronosync, but I am aware that it ha a very
good reputation. If they have a trial version you can try it would be well
worth a look.

> Another matter - I regularly back up to an external drive but am wondering
> what my restored Mail from that backup would look like if I had to do a
> restore for whatever reason. Would all my folders be restored exactly as they
> are now? If not, are there any recommendations for a program that would
> achieve that in the event of having to do a full restore. Maybe Chronosync
> does?

It all depends on what you use as an email client. Apple Mall , for example,
uses the standard Mbox format, whereas MS Outlook uses its own proprietary
format. The advantage of the Mbox format and othere like it is that you can
recover and read individual emails messages from a backup. With Outlook this is
not so easy.

In either case, interpreting the folder structure from a bundle of files in a
backup is difficult without the client software itself. Apple Mail keeps all of
its resources in a single folder called Mail in your ~/Library folder, and it’s
this whole folder that you want to recover, rather than trying to reconstruct
the file system yourself. All decent backup systems should handle this
perfectly, from Time Machine up to full cloners like Chronosync and Carbon Copy
Cloner. As long as your Mail folder is backed up in its entirety, restoring it
in the event of a disaster shouldn’t be a problem.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948