Hi Brian

After doing the same thing myself (and ordering in some laptops on behalf
clients as well), I think it comes down to $$$ versus usage.
Definitely it will be cheaper overall to get an external drive to plug in. Or
convenience to have everything inside the machine. (and how much stuff you
have).
I went with the 1TB SSD for my MacBook Pro, as require enough room for temp
things to be put there. But generally I don’t store a lot on it, so an external
USB drive is fine for “other data”. I don’t need speed of transfer or anything
like that, so don’t need an SSD internal. So just a run of the mill 2TB USB
2.5” drive is more then enough for excess data.
Then I can use either then miniUSB connection to USB3 or just got a straight
cable that is miniUSB to USB-C connection. Then the hard drive runs on both
types with the simple swap of a cable.

For adapters I ordered in a Hypderdrive “adapter” that does a lot of things.
(And infact they work quite well I ended up ordering a heap in for MacWorx
Joondalup as well after I showed them).
It simply plugs into the USB-C port and does USB-C charge through (one USB-C
port on the cable), 2x USB3 ports and 1xHDMI 4K on the end. And it’s all fairly
compact as well. (and come in Silver or Space Grey to match the laptop).
For most use I find this works well. I then use a Thunderbolt2 To Thunderbolt3
(USB-C) adapter as well. Though that’s more for transfers from old computers to
new ones.
(The other day I had Firewire800 cable into a Thunderbolt2 to Firewire adapter
then into a Thunderbolt2 To Thunderbolt3 adapter. A big long connection of
cables and adapters,…but it migrates directly from the old computer to the new
one) :)
Some of the Dock’s aren’t too bad, but again, depends on all the things you
need to plug into it versus the price of them.

That would be my thinking anyway. :)

Hope something there helps.
Kind regards
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone 7

---
Daniel Kerr
MacWizardry

Phone: 0414 795 960
Email: <daniel AT macwizardry.com.au>
Web:   <http://www.macwizardry.com.au>

**For everything Apple**

NOTE: Any information provided in this email may be my personal opinion and as
such should be taken accordingly, and may not be the views of MacWizardry. Any
information provided does not offer or warrant any form of warranty or accept
liability. It would be appreciated that if any information in this email is to
be disseminated, distributed or copied, that permission by the author be
requested.