G'day Brian, my experience though a few years go now when I bought a 13" MBP
Retina was that getting internal memory is very expensive as Apple charges lots
more than you can buy an external 2TB hard drive for. If money is no object
then max out internal memory.

If considering going the external memory route, consider if having a drive
hanging off a USB is a show stopper for you. It's not for me, I have 250GB
internal SSD with about half of it in use and my iTunes and Photos libraries
are on the external 2TB drive (totaling ~1.3TB along with some other
miscellaneous data) but it is all, including the external drive data, backed up
to the TC as well as a CCC backup of the MBP and the ext drive too.

Probably some others have some wisdom to share.

Regards

Pete