Hi Peter,

I use a iKlips lightning flash drive to import photos, 4K videos, PDFs from
iPhone / iPad  to Computer.
iKlips will let you view any format supported by Apple’s iOS including:
Music: mp3 .wav .acc .aiff & .m4a
Video: mp4 .mov & m4v
Document: .pdf .txt .doc .docx .xls .ppt .pptx .jpg .tiff .gif & .bmp
But you are not limited to the official supported files of Apple’s rather
locked down iOS either - iKlips will let you copy any file format to it.

And it’s fast to transfer files to iKlips from the computer, and much faster
than other other USB 2.0 options like the SanDisk iXpand (sorry Brian as all my
other flash drives are SanDisk ;-)...

It’s fast copying media to and from a computer to the iKlips.
Not cheap though I don’t know what their current price is I paid $155 for
iKlips 64GB Apple Lightning to USB Flash Drive back in March 2016.
iklips flash drive on Amazon AU -
https://www.amazon.com.au/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D4913356051&field-keywords=iKlips+Flash+Drive&rh=n%3A4851683051%2Cn%3A4913307051%2Cn%3A4913356051%2Ck%3AiKlips+Flash+Drive

Image Capture as Neil mentioned works well and doesn’t cost you anything!

 Ronni Brown’s iPad Pro 12.9-inch 256GB