Hi Peter,

My first thoughts were Upgrade the MBP to High Sierra to test there are no
conflicts or problems before installing the SSD mainly because when you install
the SSD in High Sierra it will change the Mac OS extended format to APFS on the
SSD Drive.

But, I’m hesitant to suggest you do as I’m not really sure which way I would go?
I would prefer you ask Daniel of MacWizardry as he is the expert on this as he
is doing it all the time.

APFS, or “Apple File System,” is one of the new features in macOS High Sierra.
It’s optimized for solid state drives (SSDs) and other all-flash storage
devices, though it will also work on mechanical and hybrid drives.
Mac OS Extended, also known as HFS Plus or HFS+, is the file system used on all
Macs from 1998 until now. On macOS High Sierra, it’s used on all mechanical and
hybrid drives, and older versions of macOS used it by default for all drives.
Something for you to think about anyway, but I would suggest you contact Daniel
first to be sure.

Regards,
Ronni

 Ronni Brown’s iPad Pro 12.9-inch 256GB