Hi Pat,

It’s not Apple stuffing you around.
When you changed your Apple ID password, I suspect you didn’t follow the
instructions to update your Apple ID on all your devices & Mac.

After you change your Apple ID or password, you normally need to update your
sign-in information with any Apple services that you're using.

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204071

If it's asking for a different Apple ID to update an app or apps, then they
have been purchased on the other Apple ID account.
You can't change the Apple ID that an app has been purchased with.
Instead, delete the app from the device and purchase it again with the Apple ID
that you want the app registered to.

 Ronni Brown’s iPad Pro 12.9-inch 256GB