Pat for convenience it is not unreasonable to use your Apple ID and password as
your computer login name and password, (not wise for security)  but in my
memory of using Apple products since 1987, I cannot recall Apple ever calling
them the same thing. They have always been different things.

One of the reasons you might find the WAMUG contributors to be pedantic about
stuff is to overcome the exact problem you are describing of people being
unclear and using general phrases to describe things that should have their own
specific name.

Regards

Tim