From: <wamug.org.au-wamug-boun...@lists.wamug.org.au> on behalf of Alan Smith
<sma...@iinet.net.au>
Date: Monday, 18 May 2020 at 14:16
Subject: Re: iMac not connecting to other iMac's

Hi Matt, more thoughts:

   I will be interested in reading the conversation between you and Neil
Houghton about resolving User ID 501/502 and permissions. I had problems with
unmatched User IDs a few years ago.  Now I read Migration instructions - very
carefully.

  Are you working within the “administrator” user account on all Macs?  Note
the text mid-window below the indicator for "File Sharing: On" via Apple >
System Preferences > Sharing.  There is an inference that Administrators can
access everything, but other users can only access specific shared folders.

   I never use the Mac “Shared” folder for copying files between computers
within my network.  I normally use “Share Screen” where I can navigate
visually.  All user actions are at one Mac, either push or pull.  I usually
drag files.  I can also drag files via the Finder sidebar (Locations) to the
destination Mac.  I assume I could alternatively Copy then Paste which would
make navigation more certain.  (I still don't have a clear idea of your method
or wanted outcome.)

Cheers,

Alan