If you haven’t done so already, activate Emoji and Symbols in your Menu Bar by
using either of the following:

Open System Preferences > Keyboard and click the “Input Sources” tab
Click “Show input menu on menu bar”

or

From Finder (or almost any software that takes text input of any sort) go to
the Menu Bar and choose Edit > “Emoji & Symbols” (Fn-E)

Either method will give you access to the Emoji & Symbols window (called
“Character Viewer” in earlier incarnations of MacOS, still reflected in its
Window Name).

The Sidebar of the window shows you a list of Character categories. Choose
Latin, then scroll down the list of characters in the middle section of the
window until you get to the section labelled “Accented Latin Characters”.
Scroll down further until you see the “Ø” character. Click on it, and in the
right side of the window you will see the character displayed in all of the
fonts on tor system. Click any particular one and you will be shown the name of
the font which contains it.

This all sounds much more complicated than it really is in practice, and I
could spend an hour talking about this incredibly useful little utility hidden
away in MacOS, which is accessible all the time, and works with all software.

> On 5 Jun 2022, at 10:53 pm, Stephen Chape <chap...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Walter.
>
> If you open Word then click on the Font Style in the upper left of Menu Bar
> you will get a dropdown of the fonts.
>
>> On 5 Jun 2022, at 7:16 pm, FW <whae...@iinet.net.au
>> <mailto:whae...@iinet.net.au>> wrote:
>>
>> Good evening people,
>>
>> some operating systems ago I used to be able to display the font list in
>> their actual styles rather than having to select each font
>> to see the style. E.g. when working with Preview, Mail, TextEdit, OpenOffice
>> etc.
>>
>> When I am looking for a font that shows the 0 [zero] with diagonal line I
>> don’t want to open 40 fonts to find it.
>> [someone told me Monaco is the one I was looking for]
>>
>> How can this be done in Mojave 10.14.6 ? I can’t remember which setting had
>> to be changed.
>>
>> Had a look at FontBook settings but didn’t find the trick.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Walter
>> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml
>> Settings & Unsubscribe -
>> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug
>

> Regards
> Stephen Chape
>
> Mac by choice
> Windows because my employer knew no better

Kind regards,

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948