Hello Stepan and Giovanni,

Thank you so much for your responses and advice! The links were very useful
for learning how to get the UNK files open, and indeed I found pre-written
code online for opening and plotting the xsf files in MATLAB, which I have
used to get a closer look at the Wannier functions.

However, reflecting on these answers for the past couple of days, I have
realized I was missing a very fundamental part of the picture of the
Wannierization process. A bit embarrassing to say and I don't know how I
missed this through all of the examples I've gone through already, but I
thought that the Wannier functions would also replicate the
higher-level-ness of the underlying orbitals. The plots in xcrysden I've
come across only show the lowest-level orbitals for each l-value (for
example only 2p orbital character, even when you know that the bands of
interest are 3p or 4p). I thought that by getting the underlying xsf
numerical data or recreating the plots from the Umn/UNK files, I would be
able to resolve the "missing" nodes.

I never ran any examples or previous projects with any r-value other than
the default. It is a little interesting (concerning?) to me that
disregarding the correct number of nodes in the radial function can still
preserve most of the important physics, etc. Unless, of course, I am still
missing something. (But, I'm assuming that setting a higher r-value in the
projections section of the Wannier input wouldn't necessarily correspond to
the proper n-valued, l>0 radial wavefunction...)

I think that the pp.x function from the Quantum Espresso end might get me
closer to finding the radial wavefunction I'm looking for, which is what
I've been working on now.

Best,
Erica Kotta
Physics PhD student at New York University