rod/christine wrote:

> Al Winslow wrote:
> >

> > Claes Persson wrote:

------------------------------

As more details about the TIPS program become known, it seems less
sinister. In fact, it amounts to nothing more than an 800 telephone line
to which workers who travel about can phone in reports of suspicious
activity. The normal 911 local emergency number isn't prepared to handle
such reports, being dedicated to dealing with immediate emergencies. In
other words, it isn't anything that people wouldn't do on their own. If
I were a mail-carrier and I saw a group of Arabs photographing an oil
refinery I'd report it. The TIPS program merely provides a number to use
that won't glog up the emergency line, and will route the information to
someone who is more likely to make good use of it. I know it's kinda
thrilly-dilly to find deep government conspiracies to yell about, but
this one, upon further understanding, appears to be quite benign. You
can relax. The cable TV installer isn't going to bug your VCR.