So you use the real size of the turrets to calculate the hitbox?
not real size but to append the 'height' of a turret imd to the z hitbox radius of a ground non-cyborg droid

It would be something like
sqrt( (x1-x2)^2 + (y1-y2)^2 + (z1-z2)^2 ) < radius
So yes, you are probably right. With all those ^2 and the sqrt it would
probably have been slow.
On the paper draft for my engine I just compared the lines of math needed. ;) What I just thought of (totally off topic): Does perhaps GL offer some way of
doing vector math like this? (Add 2 vectors and calculate it's length.)
dunno,I am ignorant of GL.think it'd be faster if we can move most performance critical vector/matrix calculations to GPU/video ram.