On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 19:11:20 -0500 Giel van Schijndel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] schreef:
>> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 06:53:04 -0500 Dennis Schridde
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>like you can improve it, then why not.
>>>>
>>> Sure, do it. I won't object. The sound code is currently crappy
>
>>> anyways as
>>> many people report that they have problems with distorted
>sound.
>>>
>>> --Dennis
>>>

>> Distorted sound?  This is driver related, not specific to how
>the
>> sound code is now.  Otherwise, we would all get distorted sound.
>
>> The code isn't crappy IMO.
>>
>> He was just changing the API call for sound, and not
>precalculate
>> it, and let openAL handle that stuff.
>>
>Would have done that already if A) I have had the time for the
>past two
>days (i.e. this one included) and B) I wouldn't have thought about
>reimplementing the sound library.
>
>Anyway if nobody objects (yes, read that in your opinion the sound
>code
>isn't crappy, no specifics however, so if you object please
>clarify),

Wait, reread that.
Dev said the sound code was crappy since it had distortion for some
people.  I said, that is not the cause of distortion in sounds, so
in this case, the sound code isn't crappy.  The distortion is the
result of crappy drivers AFAICT.

Having the game itself calculate the position/etc versus taking
that out and using API calls to do the "dirty" work for you is
just a different way to do the same thing.

>I'll create a (temporary(?)) branch somewhere tomorrow (i.e. after
>1300
>CET, cause I won't be available, read awake ;-) , very early
>before that
>time) for a reimplementation.
>
>I'd prefer to do this using C++ (I'll obviously provide a C
>interface so
>that linking against the new lib will be possible for C), please
>also
>say so when you don't like that idea.
>
>--
>Giel

If you are going to do it in C++, then a new branch is best I
think.  Maybe a testing branch or something?  This might be a good
time to check how we can mix C++ & C code on all the different
compilers we are using since it should be fairly small patch.

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account
required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485