Kamaze schreef:
> Giel van Schijndel schrieb:
>
>> How about removing MP3 support?
>>
>> I personally think we might as well do this since the only code that
>> uses MP3 stuff is the playlist code. Also this code isn't used all that
>> heavily and people can always still use OggVorbis for their playlists.
>>
>> Apart from that we'd have the added advantage of having one building
>> dependency less: libmad
>>
>> I have a patch at the ready for removing this, all I have to do is
>> commit it. So just tell me if you don't like this idea, otherwise I'll
>> just throw the MP3 support out the window.
>>
> Mhm,... well,... i have the most tracks in mp3.
> Sure, i can easiely convert them to ogg, that would be no problem.
> But i think the most have MP3 files so i think we should leave it for the
> first or make it optional for compile time.

Well firstly it already is optional for compile time, so that is not the
issue really (being able to have a build of WZ without MP3 support).

Secondly I think we since we aren't working on a mediaplayer of any kind
I think we shouldn't be supporting a gazillion number of different
codecs. Just one for each type of media is IMO better, unless there
would be a very compelling reason to do otherwise. And at this moment I
don't see any such reason.

And that "most people have MP3 files" might be true, that however
doesn't mean we should support that. People can always use a mediaplayer
alongside WZ to play their music when encoded in different codecs from
that which we support.

--
Giel