2009/3/15 bugs buggy <buginato...@gmail.com>:
> Was wondering what port should we change 2.2 to use?
> 2.0.x was using:  (do we still have a 2.0 lobby server?)
> gameserver_port: 9999
> masterserver_port: 9998
> 2.1 is using:
> gameserver_port: 9999
> masterserver_port: 9997
>
> Do we switch to 10000 for 2.2 & trunk?  (Note, this will be the last
> switch, since we will have version checking code in the codebase)
> 9996 is used by a trojan (W32.Sasser.Worm), so I doubt we want to use
> that port-- I know a few ISPs are blocking that one.
> http://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=9996 shows the worm
> http://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=9999  has warzone listed ,
> along with another worm. :S
> http://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=10000 is used by everquest, so
> that seems like a safe bet?
> Then again, it was mentioned on IRC that we could use port 80, since
> everything but the kitchen sink uses that...(which means, that for the
> most part, people already have this open in their FW/router).  Then
> there is port 2100 :)

9995 is a good idea. So's 2100.

I don't like 10000 since it breaks the "999x" theme.

80 is a terrible idea, everyone and their cat has that port blocked.
Some ISPs block it because they don't want webservers running on user
computers, etc, etc.

If we wanted a port with a higher probability of being open, we could
find a port used by another popular online game that requires port
opening.

> Also, for the write dir, we have for 2.1:
> win: Warzone 2100 2.1
> mac:  Warzone 2100 2.1
> linux: .warzone2100-2.1
>
> Since 2.2 will need a new port, (and thus a new config file specifing
> a new port),
> Do we stick with the format above, and just make it 2.2?

Well, clearly we're going to use a different dir. I guess we could
stick with the format above.

> Anyone think of anything else that needs changing before we kick out
> the alpha (or beta)?

Wait for me to put some more rebalance changes into 2.2. Do we think
we can wait another week?

-Zarel