On 9/26/09, Per Inge Mathisen <perxx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been working with OpenGL 2.0+ features lately, and I think I
>  could have a good shot at making the current model drawing code much
>  faster by using such features. However, this would require working
>  support for VBOs and GLSL shaders. It probably means bye-bye Intel
>  integrated graphics hardware (at least until they manage to get the
>  drivers up to speed on the more modern of their hardware). The trunk
>  branch was supposed to be for modern graphics hardware, and the way
>  graphics development is going, the OpenGL 1.x way of doing things is
>  more and more a thing of the past. On the other hand, Intel integrated
>  chipsets have bigger market share than either ATI or Nvidia (at 40%,
>  27% and 20% respectively in one article I read). So perhaps we should
>  do a 2.3 branch of the current trunk before any such changes, and hope
>  that Intel users can use that? From what I have heard, at least some
>  Intel users have been running trunk successfully.
>
>  Of course, once we start using shaders and VBOs, a lot of new
>  interesting possibilities open up in the graphics department. So it is
>  not just to increase the speed of model drawing we would be adding
>  this requirement. Because of the intrusive changes needed, maintaining
>  two drawing paths would not be feasible.
>
>  Let me know what you think.

Are you insane?  How can I play this game on my 5+ year old machine
then!?!?!? ;)

All kidding aside, I am fine with almost all of this.  GSSL will be
nice, but I worry about the support, and if we need to have fallback
routines or not.  We just don't have the manpower to have fallback
routines.

The part I do not agree is about the version.

I much rather we have the current trunk as 3.0.
Then the new trunk (with shaders / GLSL+ whatever else) should be 3.5
or maybe even 4.0.
This leaves us with 2.2 branch to move up to 2.9 for room to grow,
instead of doing 2.2.100001 :)  In case we want to backport stuff from
trunk to the 2.x line.
I have more comments on 2.2+ shortly.