On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 09:03:03AM +0200, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 1:42 AM, Giel van Schijndel <m...@mortis.eu> wrote:
>> Moreover, *why* does it need to be in fixed point?
>
> Did you miss all of the discussion about how the FPU rounds
> differently on some platforms in some cases? We need fixed point to
> get determinism. Epsilons do not help.

No, I missed most of it (was writing my thesis at the time).  Either
way, knowing that epsilons don't help answers my question about why
they're needed.

Was epsilon smaller on some platforms than others?  I.e. was the
difference in the size of epsilon across platforms the problem?

--

That still leaves my other remark though: fixed-point math is difficult
to do right (every time), I thus think we should confine the *actual*

Also fixed point math is rather bad at MUL and DIV.  I.e. especially
geometric transformations (rotations and such) where you may need to
multiply with cos/sin ranging anywhere from 1 to 1E-20.  In my
experience you use fixed point when you want to preserve precision
across ADDs and SUBs but use floats for MULs and SUBs.  Where fixed point
is defined as an integer multiplied by a constant (usually power-of-two)
to add precision and floating point defined as two integers, one the
"mantissa", the other the "exponent".  The difference between these two
is that for fixed point math the exponent is constant, while for
floating point it is not.  That varying exponent is required to preserve
precision across very large and small MULs and DIVs.

--
Giel