----- Forwarded message from Stephen Kitt <st...@sk2.org> -----

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:34:47 +0200
From: Stephen Kitt <st...@sk2.org>
To: Christian Ohm <chr....@gmx.net>
Subject: warzone2100 and libiberty with mingw-w64

Hi,

You requested that I ship libiberty in the gcc-mingw-w64 packages,
since warzone2100 uses it. The current version in Debian unstable
ships these files, but I noticed while working on a new upload of
gcc-mingw-w64 that gcc no longer considers libiberty to be a target
library, and the gcc build system no longer supports building and
installing libiberty.a for cross-compiler targets; this means that,
unless I change the build system, future versions of the gcc-mingw-w64
package will no longer provide libiberty.a.

Given that target-libiberty is explicitly dropped upstream, I don't
think restoring it is viable in the long term; see
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2011-05/msg00374.html> for the
discussion which led to the removal, which has its own thread starting
at <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2011-06/msg01504.html> with the
patch following at
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2011-06/msg01693.html>. The patch
is now included in the GCC Subversion repository and in current
gcc-4.6-source package (hence the gcc-mingw-w64 FTBFS bug,
<http://bugs.debian.org/634567>.)

The suggestion for software using libiberty is to use gnulib instead.
>From what I understand, this might not be enough for warzone2100 since
it uses Dr. MinGW, and needs libiberty for that. Do you have any idea
whether it would be possible for warzone2100 to use Dr. MinGW
directly, either by shipping its source or by supporting the use of an
external Dr. MinGW other that libiberty? Or am I barking up the wrong
tree?

If this doesn't concern you I'm sorry for bothering you. Feel free to
forward this if other people should be involved!

Regards,

Stephen

----- End forwarded message -----