On 10/21/05, Qamly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > So what if the release branch needs a bugfix for some data files that
> > are different in the development branch? This is not at all
> > implausible.
>
> We still could do this, and for every release, we tag the data, and if
> it needs changing, we do it this way.  Yes, we would have to backport
> some fixes doing it this way.

That is ugly.

Separating the data means people will have to do two checkouts to get
all the stuff, and we cannot use simple "make install" to install
everything and "make dist" to build packages. (Yes, I know this does
not work yet. I will fix this after the png conversion.)

I think getting an easy installation procedure on Linux is essential
for getting more developers interested. It tells people that the
project is mature and well-functioning.

> Otherwise, I can see us eating up LOTS of HD space, and I am not sure
> at all what the limit is.

Subversion branch copies are cheap. The server does not hold multiple
copies of identical files - it is way smarter than that.

  - Per