For the rails aspect, you should probably search / ask a rails group.

However, you should be able to install two versions of ruby - and use
a custom PATH variable for the command window you start watir in to
point to the older version on ruby. You will obviously need to ensure
that you Use the correct ruby installs when installing gems etc.

Eg
Set PATH=c:\old-ruby\bin;%PATH%

Hope this helps.

Alex