That means that your $ie variable is nil. Which in turn means that you
haven't successfully started a browser.

You should have a line like:
$ie = Watir::Browser.new

This line starts the browser and connects it to $ie variable for you
to use. The open() method may be used instead, I believe.

If the webmetrics recorder has not been updated to Watir 1.6 then the
line might read:
$ie = Watir::IE.new

If this is the case you will either need to downgrade Watir or modify
the script.

If you are still having difficulties, it would be helpful to see your
script code.

Alex