Hey Jeff et al,

   Thanks for sending the mail. I immediately saw what I glossed over when
we were chatting, it is in fact the problem I suspected with a gem that was
compiled with Visual Studio 2005 - namely win32-api. For the past two
releases - 1.3.0 and 1.4.0, there are 3 versions of the win32-api gem:
win32-api-1.4.0-x86-mswin32-80.gem
win32-api-1.4.0-x86-mswin32-60.gem
win32-api-1.4.0.gem

Rubygems makes the best guess for your platform when installing gems, the
gems above should rely on your ruby environment to pick the right one,
the first is for systems that match the environment set in the gem metadata:
x86-mswin32-80 - windows Ruby compiled with VS2005 (the msvc runtime version
8),
the second one should match the normal Windows one click installer version
of Ruby compiled with MSVC6,
and the third would be installed on systems where you'd compile the shared
libraries for the gem on your system.

I didn't realize there are now multiple versions of the gem. There's been
some development using VS2005 or minGW to compile 1.9.1 for the next One
Click Installer to replace the over 10 year old, hard to find MSVC6 compiler
to create the c extensions and libraries used by ruby and other gems. I'd
assume this new gem 80 is for some of that work.

 I'm not quite sure why Rubygems is installing this particular version in
some cases, if anyone is still having the issue or can reproduce it, let me
know. You can force gems to install the right version, but I'm also curious
to see why this is happening.
gem install win32-api --platform x86-mswin32-60

Thanks,

Charley Baker
blog: http://charleybakersblog.blogspot.com/
Lead Developer, Watir, http://wtr.rubyforge.org