I've run into both.  I've seen orgs where the mandate 'automate
everything' came down and everyone had to become a SDET (software
development engineer in test) or find other work somewhere else.
I've also seen places that having been burned by automation snake oil
(see stuff by james bach for good examples of this) and there was a
strong mindset of 'automation doesn't work'

I my mind it's just a tool, a powerful tool if used wisely, but an
expensive and frustrating one if not used properly.   In terms of
tools, if manual testing is a drill, then automation is a hammer.
while it might be possible to somehow use one to do the job of the
other, it's not generally the best idea.

It seems to me that you are in a trap.  You've been given a task but
not empowered to complete the task.  That's frankly not fair to you,
as you are being setup in a situation where you have to work basically
unpaid overtime or fail in your goals.

One potential way out is to get yourself a quick win, demonstrate some
success with automation (and learn the time it takes you to do it) and
then demand that they either give you the time or remove the task,
since you are in a no-win situation otherwise.

Testing automation works best IMHO in one of the following situations

1) same test repeated frequently  e.g daily unit tests, build
validation tests, acceptance tests (if you are using them as a way to
track progress and show what's working and what's not instead of just
at the end)
2) same test repeated with different data:  e.g. combinatorial testing
(like testing the word 'font settings' ui), or testing an input field
with a large number of 'valid' vs 'invalid' values to see that they
are all properly accepted or rejected.
3) not humanly feasable or possible (loadtesting, performance testing)
4) Utiities to save time (does it take 2 hours to setup your test env
and load it with data?  automate it) or improve testing process (is
the environment setup complicated with ots of settings that need to be
set the same way to allow test results to be replicated?)
5) regression suites which are boring as hell to execute manually over
and over..

One problem is that many of these rarely find bugs after the test is
first written. and since a tester's goal is generaly to find bugs,
that can be a problem.

If I'm looking for a quick win, I want something that can benefit the
entire team, so something like a useful utility script (if you've a
need for one) or a BVT type test to save people from wasting time with
bad buids, might be your best bet..  The tests of type 3 are often
complicated to setup and may require a speciaized environment to run
them, so that wouldn't be my first choice, OTOH managers LOVE graphs
and numbers so something that reports on the product performance and
can be run on each build might be a way to gain some good visibility.

What is it you are assigned to do in terms of scripting?  can you find
something in there you believe might represent a potential 'quick win'
and/or  proof-of-concept?