Open IE developer toolbar . Download from this following link

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e59c3964-672d-4511-bb3e-2d5e1db91038&displaylang=en

And make sure the field which your are testing has the right id or name
which your are inserting in syntax.

And use syntax :

ie.text_field(:name, "   ").set("   ")

Bye.