is the form inside a frame?

what errors are you getting when you tried the commands you listed?
the format of the command looks right, and based on what you've shown
us of the html I'd think they would work, so I'm wondering if there's
a different error now

The element you identified using the developer toolbar is a graphic
(bmp) file, are you sure you clicked on the right thing?

 what is arg1 ?  can you show us the code that defines it or populates
it

Is the page you are hitting accessable to the public, e.g. is there a
way that folks could have a look at it for themselves?

Have you tried using an irb session and seeing of you can do something
like

  browser.text_field(:id, 'fahrenheit').flash   #should cause text
field to briefly strobe yellow in the browser