I've worked with Selenium the past two years.  It's an excellent
tool.

For one thing, support for multiple browsers is excellent because the
way Selenium goes about manipulating pages is consistent from browser
to browser.  Watir is rapidly achieving support for multiple browsers,
but it is using different mechanisms to manipulate each browser.

I recently found an instance where Watir was far better than
Selenium.  I had a need to analyze a web site that contained a lot of
poorly-formed HTML.  Selenium would not recognize the pages at all,
but Watir worked quite well.

At one time Watir was somewhat easier to learn, although I think
Selenium (especially with Selenium-RC) has been catching up.
Traditionally Selenium appealed more to developers new to testing and
Watir more to testers new to development, but I think that distinction
is disappearing.

So I'd say: try them both, build a few dozen assertions about the
behavior of your particular site with each, and see which is more
comfortable.