Frame object is entirely different entity from $ie.
So, it does not navigate into a frame to find frame objects.
What you finding is expected behavior.

----- Original Message ----
From: MatchBook <jeffrey.fl...@gmail.com>
To: Watir General <watir-general@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:44:52 AM
Subject: [wtr-general] element search recursive?

I noticed that sometimes watir searches within its nested containers
for items, and sometimes it does not.  I would like to know the rules
by which it decides to do so or not.

For example, I noticed that in an Amazon.com page 'ie.link(:text,
believe that watir will search sub-containers for the item requested.

But when I was in the gmail web page, "ie.text_fields" returned a
different set of items than "ie.canvas_frame.text_fields" (here,
canvas_frame is a frame element), which puzzled me given my experience
above.

Jeff